Joe Boyle specializes in commercial litigation and intellectual property matters, with a focus on handling copyright, signal theft, and piracy-related cases across the United States. He represents over 170 television channels, as well as television distributors and companies that provide security and conditional access measures to protect television content. Joe also serves as outside counsel to the International Broadcaster Coalition Against Piracy (IBCAP).
Joe’s experience extends to both domestic and international entertainment law issues, including the distribution of international sports programming, foreign-language television programming, and disputes over media distribution rights. Joe is experienced with enforcement actions during live sporting events such as the Indian Premier League cricket tournament, where his team secured emergency court orders to shut down multiple websites illegally streaming matches to the public.
Joe and his team recently won a multi-day bench trial in Florida federal court against a streaming set-top box distributor, receiving a judgment of $600,000 plus attorney fees. He and his team have led over 30 lawsuits involving illegal streaming of copyrighted content or circumvention of encryption systems resulting in numerous $50 million to $100 million judgments against foreign manufacturers and domestic product distributors.
Joe’s appellate work is includes a recent oral argument before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals leading to the court upholding a $100 million judgment in favor of his clients against intellectual property infringers from China and Hong Kong, and the defendants’ petition for certiorari to the United States Supreme Court was denied after briefing.
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2014 – 2023
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, 2011 – 2013
- Houston’s “Top Lawyers”, H Texas magazine, 2011 – 2021
- HNB named a “Go-To” Law firm by In-House Law Departments at the Top 500 Companies magazine
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Unites States District Court, District of Colorado