Joe Boyle focuses his practice on commercial litigation and intellectual property matters, and he is experienced litigating copyright, signal theft, and piracy-related matters throughout the United States.
Joe represents approximately 30 international television broadcasters and distributors (covering over 130 international television channels) including Sony Entertainment Television, Star India, IndiaCast (a Viacom joint venture), Asia TV USA Ltd. (an affiliate of Zee), Middle East Broadcasting Center (MBC)), and DISH Network who work together as members of the International Broadcaster Coalition Against Piracy (IBCAP) to fight piracy of IBCAP members’ video content.
Joe has significant experience with domestic and international entertainment law issues, including distribution of international sports programming, foreign-language television programming, and disputes over media distribution rights.
An emerging area of Joe’s practice involves sports broadcasting rights and securing the value of those rights against infringement and piracy. During the 2017 Indian Premier League cricket tournament, Joe successfully obtained emergency court orders shutting down numerous websites illegally streaming matches to the public and his team was able to monitor and continue seizing and shutting down new websites throughout the tournament.
Joe’s litigation experience includes numerous suits involving consumer electronics products and television set-top boxes, including numerous $50 million to $100 million judgments against foreign manufacturers and domestic product distributors. On the defense side, Joe helped a media seller obtain a $0 defense verdict in a suit by a former vendor over millions of dollars in alleged lost sales when Joe was called in to represent the individual corporate officers shortly before trial.
Joe is also experienced in appellate work, including a recent oral argument before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals that led to the court upholding a $100 million judgment in favor of his clients against intellectual property infringers from China and Hong Kong.
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2014 – 2023
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Edition, 2011 – 2013
- Houston’s “Top Lawyers”, H Texas magazine, 2011 – 2021
- HNB named a “Go-To” Law firm by In-House Law Departments at the Top 500 Companies magazine
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- Unites States District Court, District of Colorado