For over two decades Mr. Hagan’s practice has focused in the area of complex commercial litigation, with an emphasis on prosecuting and defending unlawful competition, intellectual property infringement, cyber security/circumvention, and business contract disputes before federal courts around the country. Mr. Hagan represents a wide array of media, technology, and cyber security corporate clients, including industry-leading Fortune 500 companies. In addition to traditional litigation, Mr. Hagan also represents content distributors and encryption providers in executing writs of seizure under the DMCA/FCA, and works in close connection with both domestic and foreign enforcement agencies in joint litigation efforts including the FBI, US Attorneys Office, US Customs and Border Protection, and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Another significant focus of Mr. Hagan’s practice includes assisting clients in obtaining injunctions, asset freeze orders, and post-judgment enforcement actions to seize financial accounts and other property, as well as upholding judgements through bankruptcy challenges.
- American Institute of Trial Lawyers, Litigator of the Year (2020)
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators (2018-2022)
- Top Trial Lawyers in America, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum (2012-2022)
- Texas Super Lawyers (2014-2023)
- Texas Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (2011-2014)
- Houston Top Lawyers (2011-2021)
- Lawyers of Distinction (Intellectual Property Law) (2021)
- “Go-To” Law Firm for Fortune 500 Companies (2012)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- Southern District of Texas
- Northern District of Texas
- Eastern District of Texas
- Western District of Texas
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Texas
- District of Colorado
- Sigma Chi, Eta Tau Housing Corp., Board of Directors
- KYF Youth Football, Head Coach & Board liaison (2011-2017)
- WLE Board of Directors (2018-2019)
- STCL and UH advocacy scholarship sponsor
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society sponsor
- Compassion International (Nicaragua) sponsor
- Dish Awarded Mammoth $585 Million Judgment In Streaming Piracy Case
- Nagravision Wins $101M Piracy Lawsuit Against China’s Gotech
- SET TV Lawsuit- SET Ordered to Pay DISH Over $90,000,000
- Court Awards DISH Network(R), EchoStar and NagraStar $51 Million in Anti-Piracy Case
- Dish Network Wins $65 Million Judgment Against Sonicview
- Nagravision S.A. v. Zhuhai Gotech Intelligent Technology Co. Ltd., Case No. 4:15-cv-00403 (S.D.Tex.); lead counsel for Plaintiff Nagravision. Secured final judgment in client’s favor with damages award of $101,851,800, permanent injunction, product impoundment order, and website seizure. Case involved a Swiss based encryption provider (Nagravision) asserting claims for operation of an illicit key-sharing service operated by 2 Chinese companies and their Hong Kong affiliate, using servers located in the United States. Judgement upheld on appeal to the Fifth Circuit and Supreme Court.
- DISH Network LLC et al v. Set Broadcast LLC et al, Case No. 8:18-cv-01332-VMC-AAS (M.D.Fla.). Lead counsel representing DISH Network and its encryption provider against a Florida-based television streaming company. Obtained a TRO and PI enjoining the defendants from continued operation of the service pending resolution of the litigation, as well as an asset freeze order. Secured final judgment assessing damages at $90 million, a website and product impoundment order and permanent injunction.
- NagraStar LLC et al v. Digital TV CRE, S.R.L. et al, Case No. 4:17-cv-02711 (S.D.TX) Lead counsel representing Media Plaintiffs against an foreign telecommunications company and various residents of the Dominican Republic operating an unauthorized online IKS service throughout the United States. Obtained final judgment in the amount of $249.75 million, permanent injunctive relief and an Impoundment Order over Defendants’ websites.
- SlingTV, L.L.C. et al v. Channel Broadcasting Corporation of Belize Ltd. et al, Case No. 9:20-cv-80088 (S.D.Fla.); lead counsel representing US broadcasters against a Belizean cable company. Secured an initial injunction order and asset freeze and, ultimately, judgment in the amount of $15,852,000.00 as well as permanent injunctive relief.
- EchoStar Satellite L.L.C. et al. v. Viewtech, Inc. et al., Case No. 3:07-cv-01273 (S.D.Cal.). Lead Counsel for Plaintiffs; obtained summary judgment with an award of $214,898,600.00 in damages under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and injunctive relief. Represented Plaintiffs in post-judgment enforcement to seize accounts and other assets in fraud transfer suits.
- NagraStar LLC et al v. Droid Technologies LLC et al, Case No. 8:19-cv-672-T-02AEP (M.D. Fla.), lead counsel for US broadcaster and security provider. Obtained ex parte restraining order and asset freeze, and ultimately secured a final judgment awarding statutory damages of $30 million, permanent injunction and order impounding products and forcing the transfer of websites.
- EchoStar Technologies LLC et al v. Khachik Bagdasaryan, Case No. 2:09-cv-00351 (C.D. Cal.). Lead counsel for media plaintiffs, secured final judgment in excess of $151 million, and subsequently prevailing in upholding the judgment through Defendants’ bankruptcy challenge.